Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Today anyway


There are some things that I always seem to be in the mood for. Some good examples would be science, burritos, Pearl Jam, Penn and Teller (speaking of Penn and Teller, you NEED to see Penn and Teller: Fool Me...AWESOME!!! I've seen them live and they are the best!!!). My interests (other than these) seem to go through phases. Here's a list of what I am digging right now.

The Bad Plus A modern jazz trio whose music has elements of rock and pop included. Their latest album is called "Never Stop" and is the first with all original compositions (previous albums contained several covers, including "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana). You may not be into jazz, but you should give them a listen. They are all I have been listening to lately.

Death From The Skies by Phil Plait "The Bad Astronomer" The subtitle of this book pretty much sums it up..."The science behind the end of the world..." Each chapter describes a different way in which the Earth could be destroyed, or at least harmed significantly. This may seem kind of gloomy, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I enjoy the idea that we are insignificant compared to the universe. The book does a good job of illustrating just how dangerous a place that universe really is.

An Idiot Abroad on The Science Channel Produced by Ricky Gervais, the show follows a British guy named Karl as he is sent around the globe to see the seven man-made "Wonders of the World". The trick is that Karl is not interested in seeing them, or in leaving England for that matter. He also seems to have no filter between his brain and his mouth. He says some of the most awful things, but it doesn't seem malicious when he says them. I think it just serves to highlight his myopic world view (it's also hysterical). You can see new episodes on Saturday nights at 10 PM. I'm hoping The Science Channel really benefits from a show like this bringing in new viewers. A little more science is good for everybody.

That's it. I wish I could include Washington Capitals hockey in this list. The truth is I'm always into Caps hockey, they just frustrate the hell out of me. Oh well, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment